All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The purpose of the Shelter officer position is to facilitate the supervision of the ongoing Shelter project activities in Shire and Maytsebri, as requested. The Shelter officer will also support on assessment of new constructions and maintenance works within the refugee/ IDP camps and host communities. This is a roving position that will primarily be based in Maytsebri.
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Line managing Shelter Project assistants and other project staffs
- Coordinate and communicate with camp level partners and refugee representatives and local administration during work execution in Refugee/IDP camps and Host communities.
- Ensure standard of constructions are maintained as per SPHERE standard
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Implement CC SoPs and ensure high technical quality of projects
- Contribute to the development Shelter project strategies; participate in the development of relevant CC projects.
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the Shelter Program
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and asses new and better ways to assist.
- Promote the rights of refugees in line with the advocacy strategy.
- Providing technical support for all construction and maintenance activities including school constructions under Education program
- Verify BoQ and designs for new project proposals are prepared and submitted on time
- Regularly travel to the field to support shelter activities.
- Participate in site selection for new constructions and in assessing shelters for maintenance.
- Check that Payments for executed construction works are prepared and paid accordingly
- Coordinate with Shelter team and other IPs for final quality work checking and approval
- Ensure close follow up and supervision of out sourced constructions
- Ensure quality construction materials are delivered as per the specification given during purchase requisition
- Follow up and check quality of constructions undergoing are maintained
- Coordinate with Education team to ensure on time delivery of constructions and fulfil requirements of school standards
- Ensure Cost, requisition and administer Working Advances, including construction teams’ payments, field-based resource person’s payments and activity participants’ payments comply with NRC policy.
- Support beneficiary trainings as required by the project objectives.
- Organize and implement distributions of NFIs to the beneficiaries.
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement.
- Provide support to any construction or maintenance activities and assessments for NRC Shire and Maytsebri in line with NRC quality standards.
- Implement any other task relevant to the position as requested by the line manager.
- Demonstrates strong communication skill
- Handling insecure environment
- Ability to work under high work load
- Attention to detail
- Good cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Strong team working and support role skills
- Planning and delivering results
- Good task orientation and planning skills.
- Communicating with impact and respect
Generic professional competencies:
- A university degree in Civil Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management or Related field.
- Minimum of three years practical experience in construction supervision/follow up
- Knowledge of the operating context in Tigray Region;
- Knowledge of the local languages is an advantage;
- Experience in use of design software’s like AutoCAD, ArcGIS and statistical packages;
- Knowledge and experience of the application of SPHERE Experience from working in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities, carry out multiple tasks simultaneously, and meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently whenever required
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Good knowledge of English
How to Apply
Please click on below link to apply!